In this “age of information,” it’s difficult for parents to know where their kids are and what they’re exposed to. When it comes to:
- stranger awareness
- pedestrian safety and
- Internet awareness…
…parents are overwhelmed at how to recognize and deal with situations where their kids feel unsafe.
The Parents Program is an information overview and reminder of the topics we cover in the kids and teens classes. It runs from 1.5 to 2.0 hours and just may be the best time you spend on how to help your kids if they experience trouble in person and/or online.
The key is to recognize the signs that your children are feeling unsafe. The Parents Program explains how kids commonly react so you have the ability to recognize the indicators as soon as possible.
Did you know…?
When it comes to children and Sexual Solicitation
- Only 25% of children who encountered a sexual approach or solicitation told a parent or adult (as reported by Crimes Against Children Research Center).
- 1 in 33 youths received an aggressive sexual solicitation in the past year. This means a predator asked a young person to meet somewhere, called a young person on the phone, and/or sent the young person correspondence, money or gifts through the U.S. Postal Service. (Your internet Safety Survey)
Children and Bullying
- Too many adults still see bullying as “just part of being a kid.” Yet it is a serious problem that leads to many negative effects for victims (and observers) that includes suicide.
Children and Cyber Bullying
- More than 1 in 3 young people have experienced cyber threats online.
- 71% of teen girls and 67% of teen boys who have sent or posted sexually suggestive content and say they have sent/posted this content to a boyfriend/girlfriend.
- Well over 50% of young people do not tell their parents when cyber bullying occurs.
This is why the Parents Program is so critical. We help you recognize and deal with your children’s exposure to:
- Bullying and Cyber Bullying
- Sexual Solicitation and Sextortion
- Stranger awareness
- Pedestrian Safety
As overseers of our children’s safety, any and all information we gather helps us guide our families. This program gives you the tools you need to ensure your kids stay safe, wherever they go.